Communication is powerful, and helps us connect with the people and world around us. When there are communication challenges, this can impact a child significantly. Alight Pediatric Services Inc. is passionate about helping children overcome these challenges and connect with their world.
A little more about Charlene Mun
Hello! I am a registered speech language pathologist (SLP) who specializes in working with children. More importantly, I am passionate about helping children find their voice, grow their communication skills, and connect with their world.
My passion for helping children improve their communication skills began long before completing my Bachelor of Education or my Masters of Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Alberta. While I was volunteering in Quebec one summer, I met a four year old girl. She came up to me and tried to tell me about an art project at home. Unfortunately, my limited French at the time made it very difficult for us to communicate despite this little girl repeating herself many times. She was so frustrated, she was almost in tears. Finally at the end of the day, I figured out that she was saying “snowflake”. She had made a snowflake at home. The moment I guessed correctly, her entire face lit up and she squealed with excitement. That day, I witnessed the power of connecting with a child and their world despite language barriers. During that interaction, I saw the importance of helping every child find their voice so that they too can speak their mind and connect with the world around them.
Through my years of providing diagnostic and therapeutic services in schools, I have come to see this power of communication and connection many times. I strongly believe that helping children’s speech and language skills at an early age is the most effective intervention. I now have the privilege of serving families through my private practice and appreciate the additional time with families to explore the best therapy approaches for their child.
I am dedicated to providing family-centered therapy that is driven by the most current research in the field.
Check out my Services page for more details on how we can work together to help your child!
- Certified Speech-Language Pathologist with Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC)
- Registered member in good standing with the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA)
- Member of the Alberta Association of Private Practitioners (ASAPP)
- The recipient of ACSLPA’s Student Academic Award for the highest GPA.
- Lidcombe Program Training for Stuttering
- Learning Language and Loving It: The Hanen Program for Early Childhood Educators
- Moving Forward with LAMP & Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP)
- Lee Silverman Voice Therapy Loud (LSVT)
- Social Thinking by Michelle Garcia Winner
© 2020 Alight Pediatric Services inc. All rights reserved.